Sunday, May 13, 2007

I Just Can't Seem To Drink you Off My Mind

Over at Big Rock Candy Mountain the work has been done. The votes have been counted, and some long forgotten tunes have resurfaced along with all their acoutrements, all those old memories you thought you'd grown out of, and put behind you. Or some of our favourite "stagger home from the bar marching melodies" are there too, shouting raucously down the street, and best of all are the "Party on Up" and get your ass moving into the Glorious River of Life (to mix a metaphor or two).

I'm speaking, of course, about the TOP 100 DRINKING SONGS OF ALL TIME, carefully arrayed in all their gory, I mean splendour.

Come Monday morning we all get back to the grindstone, and the LIST moves to the Barstool Mountain where anyone can comment, post, suggest and generally add to the Brouhaha

In celebration and a fit of coherence, I have selected my top ten songs that didn't make the list.


Closing Time - Leonard Cohen
Sunny Afternoon - thee Kinks
Women Drinking Whiskey - Michelle Moon
thee Boys From County Hell - thee Pogues
Whiskey and Rum - Shiloh Lindsey
Have A Drink On Me - Lonnie Donegan
My Old Kentucky Home - Ry Cooder
HonkyTonk Women - thee Rolling Stones
Woke Up This Morning - thee Alabama 3
I Shall Be Free - Bob Dylan

Bonus:
This tune came in at 141 on the list, though they were probably thinking of other versions:
Finegans Wake - slumbering (with Stuart Walker)
-
And if there are any other classics that you don't see on the lists, then get yourself over to Barstool Mountain and tell the world.

Sláinte !
-
-
-

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man!

I protest! "The Last Two Drops" GOT ROBBED!!!

4:23 AM  
Blogger The DoorKeeper said...

Fair Coment, Maggie.
Though "Stamen Island Ferry" was the one I looked for.

The late night Bohemian Tango of "Last Two Drops" is the business.

":~)

12:56 PM  
Blogger none said...

Maggie Osterberg said...
"Man!

I protest! "The Last Two Drops" GOT ROBBED!!"

Indeed!

Stu, how could you?!!!!!!

That Finnegan's Wake is something, though, eh?

;)

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home